I specialise in the repair and service of Electrolux and Dometic 3.5 230V Travel Power generators. Repairs to the engine mounted Alternator and remote Powerbox. Full workshop facilities. Nationwide callout service. My complete repair service starts from when I’m called out to your narrowboat. As part of my service I can sometimes fit a spare generator while your unit is being repaired. International postal service available. Boatyard, Boat Builder, Engine Supplier, Commercial and International enquiries welcome.
Travel Power Notes.
- Travel Power Generators are brilliant and their performance is in a completely different league to any 12/24V alternator running through an inverter. They run cool compared with a low voltage alternator and are generally very reliable. It’s a good idea to have a TP alternator serviced from time to time as the rotor bearings can fail which can potentially destroy the expensive custom made alternator. As a general rule I recommend 2-3000 hours for the Bosch alternator and slightly longer for the later Iskra unit.
- When carrying out an oil change service or if the belt has to be re-tensioned always remove the TP belt and check for any roughness or play. If there’s any unusual ticking or whining noises switch off ASAP and check it out. The Bosch alternator is a old design and was never intended to be driven by a poly-V belt and the higher loads they apply. It’s very important not to over tension the belts on both types of TP alternator.
- The jerky motion of a diesel engine particularly with a large crank pulley as fitted to TP installations cause driving forces along the poly V belt in both directions. This causes the belt to bounce/flap, slip and squeak and over-tensioning the belt helps to stop this. Fitting a freewheeling alternator pulley (a pulley which only grips & drives in the clockwise direction) allows forces along the belt in the driving direction only and makes the belt run dramatically smoother, increasing grip at a lower tension. This also makes the engine smoother and the small (50mm) freewheeling pulley can increase generator output at tickover.
- Beta fitted aluminium pulleys to Travel Power alternator (and domestic alternators). These pulleys often become badly worn. Once the Poly V belt profile starts to wear contact area decreases and wear accelerates. Check that the pulley has the same sharp profile as the engine crank pulley and if there’s wear fit a freewheeling pulley.
- Fault diagnosis should be made on the boat. Fault’s can be with the wiring looms, connections/terminals, alternator, powerbox or appliances on the boat.
- Generally the Powerbox’s are reliable. I will never take a box out as part of a service as they are unserviceable other than removing dog hairs and dust in most extreme cases. Be very wary If you are told by the boatyard that the alternator and powerbox has to be sent away for repair.
- The Alternator can be tested in-situ on the boat or run up on the bench and no powerbox is needed.
- The 5 core cable is often overlooked. If there’s any doubt I cut the loom back and re-terminate at the alternator end. I also carry new original spec 5 core cable and the original spec uninsulated spade terminals for the early units (not the cheap brass or blue insulated terminals used by some repairers). As a safety point the outer braid of the 5 core loom should be clamped and connected (grounded) at the alternator and powerbox end. Power loom’s should be kept dry and away from oil/fuel contamination.
All parts are kept in stock – powerbox’s, complete alternators, power looms, control looms, stator windings, rotors, terminals, plugs, rocker switches, terminal blocks. 50mm free wheeling pulleys. Highest quality Iskra & Bosch brushes, bearings, slip rings. Exchange alternators etc.. Silver to Black powerbox conversions done at a fixed price and with a 1 year warranty. If you want to remove an existing TP system I keep a new 12V 175A alternator as a replacement. I normally have a selection of new and refurbished 3.5KW Travel Power generator packages in stock all with a 1 year warranty. When I sell an item with a warranty I will personally honour that warranty and my customer has total peace of mind.